DeKalb County Health Dept.

Consumer Food Safety

Laughing mother, young son and daughter chopping food

Contact Us

Phone: 815-758- 6673
Fax: 815-748-2485


Environmental Health & Animal Control Fees .pdf


Freedom of Information Action (FOIA) .pdf

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I have questions about the safest ways to handle, cook, and store food, where can I get information?
A. There are several websites that offer excellent resources.  See the links provided below.  You can also call the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHOTLINE (1-888-674-6854).

Q: If I have a complaint about a restaurant, who can I call?
A: Call the Health Department at 815-748-2474, Monday- Friday from 8:00 am- 4:30 pm or email us at  Be prepared to give your name and details regarding your complaint.

Q: What should I do if I get sick after eating?
A: Because there is such a wide range of incubation times for various foodborne illnesses, it can be very difficult to know if you got sick from a particular food or meal.   In addition, illness can have other causes, so even though the timing seems right, your illness may not be from food.  The only way to tell for sure if you have a foodborne illness is to get tested by your health care provider.  For a chart of some of the germs that can cause foodborne illness, click here.  The Health Department monitors reports of illness and conducts an investigation, when indicated, to ensure safe food practices.


USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline
Fight BAC! Keep Food Safe from Bacteria
Industry Food Safety