Solid Waste Program Recycling/Collection Events
Community Shred Day event in Genoa - Saturday, April 29, 2017 (9am - Noon at the Genoa Public Library)
The collection sites below will accept any items with a battery or a cord, except smoke detectors. Residents can recycle most electronics at no cost, with the except of :
Computer monitors - $10
TVs 18'' or smaller - $20
TVs 19'' or larger - $30
Appliances w/ Freon - $5 -$15 (includes refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers etc.)
The e-waste collection schedule is below:
- DeKalb – 1st Saturday of the month from 9am – 11am at the public parking lot on Grove and S. 4th St.
- Cortland -- Every week day from 8 am - 4 pm at DC Trash14438 E. North Avenue
- Sandwich – 2nd Saturday of the month from 12:30pm to 2:30pm at 750 Duvick Ave. ( E. Water Tower)
- Waterman – 4th Saturday of the month (even number months only) from 9 am – 11 am at the City Lot on Rt 30
- Shabbona – 4th Saturday of the month (odd number months only) from 9 am – 11 am at 206 S. Blackhawk Rd.
- New Options for e-waste collections-(pdf)
- Rural Recycling Sites (pdf)
- Recycling Directory (pdf)
- Commingled Recycling Sites (pdf)
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off -- Rockford (pdf)
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off -- Naperville (pdf)
- Recycling Mercury Thermostats (pdf)
- website to Product Stewardship http://www.productstewardship.us/
FormsFreedom of Information Action (FOIA) (pdf)
Where our Garbage Goes (pdf)
Zero Waste Report 2014 (pdf)
Zero Waste Fall Newsletter (pdf) -August 31, 2015
Waste and Recycling Information:
- Recycling 'Dos & Don'ts"
- It's time to rethink recycling. Here's how...
- Mixed Curbside Residential Recycling Myth Busters
- DC Trash of Illinois
Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: How do I discard of used motor oil?
A: Any place that changes oil will take it. You can also take it to an Illinois EPA household hazardous waste collection site. Once a year the Health Department will sponsor a household hazardous waste collection event. All events will be advertised on social media and local media, please check for updates.
Q: Where can hazardous wastes be safely discarded?
A: The Illinois EPA operates regional sites to take household hazardous waste at no charge. There are two sites in this region-one in Naperville and one in Rockford- that have weekend hours. See the Illinois EPA website for directions and locations.
Q: What can I do with old latex paint?
A: If the paint is dry, the container can be discarded in your regular trash. If there is still liquid in the can, trash haulers are prohibited from taking it. Add an absorbent to the liquid to dry it out or just leave the top off the can and place it in a well-ventilated area. To speed up the drying process you can add items such as rags, newspaper or kitty litter.
Q: What can I do with old electronics?
A: As of January 2012, a landfill ban on consumer electronics in Illinois was set. Watch local media for dates for E-Cycling Events.
Q: What can I do with CRT (tube) TV, Console TV or Projection Screen TV?
A: For a fee you can schedule a pickup with DC Trash by phone: 815-758-7274 or website: http://dctrashillinois.com/.
LinksIllinois Environmental Protection Agency
DeKalb County Go Green Initiative