Amanda Christensen, Regional Superintendent
2500 North Annie Glidden Road, Suite C, DeKalb, IL 60115
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – Noon & 1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. (M-F)
Phone: (815) 217-0460 FAX: (815) 217-0467
“Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent and want to work in the public schools? Becoming a paraprofessional is an option for you! We are announcing that we now offer the Parapro Assessment."
ATTENTION: ROE Job Posting
Changes from Certifications to Licensures
As of June 28, 2013 Regional Offices of Education will no longer be able to process paper applications or registrations due to the new online Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS). Effective July 1, 2013 all registration fees must be paid online through the new ELIS. This coincides with the conversion of all educator certificates to licenses.
You may also visit this link on the Illinois State Board of Education website: http://isbe.net/certification/default.htm
Educator Licensure FAQs: http://www.isbe.state.il.us/licensure/pdf/ELIS-faq.pdf
Educator certification fees:
$75.00 application fee for each educator certificate
$50.00 for each subsequent endorsement application
$10.00 per year registration fee for the course of the validity cycle
Responsibilities of the Regional Superintendent Educational Administration
• Regional Superintendents are locally elected officials who administer Regional Offices of Education, which are grouped by county or counties throughout Illinois.
• Respond to legal questions from educators, boards of education and other citizens. Issue, register and renew teacher certificates.
• Supervise and assist in transportation programs, scientific literacy programs and other staff development programs.
• Administer the G.E.D. testing programs and issue diplomas.
• Disseminate information on scholarships and teacher vacancies.
• Conduct professional growth opportunities.
• Approve school calendars, in-service days, workshops and institutes.
• Conduct hearings for School Districts reorganization.
• Administer Truancy Intervention programs and Safe School Alternative Education programs.
• Assist the Illinois State Board of Education in the evaluation and recognition of public schools, and private schools who ask to be recognized.
• Maintain maps of all school districts.
• Administer cooperative programs.
• Monitor public schools during strikes.
• Remove any member of a school board for failure to perform official duties.
• Assist with cooperatives, special education programs and vocational programs.
• Serve as Ex-Officio secretary of the Regional Board of School Trustees.
• Audit district claims for General State Aid, categorical funds, and Federal grants.
• Review budgets, audits, evidence of indebtedness and annual financial reports.
• Check bonding of school treasurers.
• Disburse state and federal funds.
• Act as administrative and/or fiscal agent for appropriate programs.
Health and Life Safety
• Visit and inspect each public school annually.
• Supervise school buildings for health and life safety and condemn buildings if necessary.
• Provide courses in safety and first aid for bus drivers.
• Approve and issue building permits and occupancy permits.
• Respond to questions and concerns, including legal questions, from parents, teachers, administrators, board of education and other citizens.
• Promote and support educational programs and achievements of the schools and educators.
• Hold public hearings on topics vital to education.
• Serve as liaison between the state legislature and local school districts.
• Serve as liaison between the Illinois State Board of Education and local school districts.
The Regional Office is responsible for conducting the initial training required for all new school bus drivers prior to getting a bus permit and the annual refresher workshop required in the 12-month period prior to renewal. Experienced drivers must take a two-hour refresher course annually, and all new drivers must take an eight-hour course in school bus driver safety and first aid, as prescribed by the Illinois State Board of Education and administered by the ROE.