YOUR TOTAL REAL ESTATE TAX BILL IS PAYABLE IN 2 INSTALLMENTS.
For assessment, property description, multiplier, and exemption questions, contact the Supervisor of Assessments Office at 815-895-7120. Your Township Assessor can explain how your assessment was determined. For tax rate and tax levy questions, contact the County Clerk at 815-895-7152. For tax billing and payment questions, contact the County Treasurer at 815-895-7112
1. IF A MORTGAGE COMPANY IS TO PAY YOUR BILL, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CONTACT THEM AND DETERMINE IF THEY NEED YOU TO SEND THEM A COPY OF YOUR BILL. MANY MORTGAGE COMPANIES PAY ELECTRONICALLY NOW AND MAY NOT REQUIRE A BILL.
2. You may pay online with a direct debit to your bank account, or using your Master Card, Visa, American Express or Discover Card. As a continuing service to our taxpayers, we are also accepting Visa Debit this year. Visit our web site at www.dekalbcounty.org. A convenience fee will apply.
3. You may use your Discover Card, MasterCard, Visa or American Express to pay your tax bill at the Collector’s office. A convenience fee, which is charged by your credit card provider, will apply. No portion of that fee is paid to DeKalb County.
4. You may pay your taxes at most banks in DeKalb County during the bank’s normal business hours, on or before the due date of an installment. Bring the entire statement to the bank with you. BANKS CANNOT ACCEPT PAYMENTS AFTER THE DUE DATE. Please put your parcel number on your check.
5. You may pay by mail. Send the appropriate stub and your check made payable to DEKALB COUNTY COLLECTOR, 110 E. SYCAMORE ST., SYCAMORE, IL 60178. Please put your parcel number on your check.
6. You may pay in person at the Collector’s Office, 4th Floor, Administration Building, 110 E. Sycamore St., Sycamore, Illinois during normal business hours, 8:30 A.M. through 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday, except on holidays.
7. If you no longer own this property, it is your responsibility to mail the bill to the new owner.
8. Installments equal to one-half the total tax are due on or before the due dates shown on the front of the tax bill, or the entire bill may be paid by the first installment due date. Installments unpaid by the due date will have interest added at the rate of 1.5% per month until they are paid. Property owners who have delinquent taxes remaining after the second due date will be mailed a delinquent bill and a $10.00 fee will be added to the amount due. A delinquent tax list will be published after the second due date. Additional costs and interest will be added at tax sale or forfeiture. A minimum charge of $25.00 will be added for checks returned to us by a bank and the tax payment will be voided.
9. Failure to receive a tax bill, or receiving one late, for any reason, will not relieve the taxpayer from paying taxes or late penalties. Payments made on a wrong parcel cannot be refunded.