Senior Assessment Freeze Information
Date: February 8, 2024
To: DeKalb County Senior Citizens age 65 and older
From: Bridget Nodurft, Chief County Assessment Officer
2024 PTAX-340, Senior Citizen’s Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption Applications will be mailed February 26, 2024 to seniors who have previously participated in the exemption program. Seniors are encouraged to file the applications as soon as possible. The last date to apply is July 1, 2024.
Please complete both sides of application and submit with a copy of your 2023 – 1040 Federal Tax Return PTAX-340 Form
Senior Citizen’s Assessment Freeze Exemption:
- Allows qualified senior citizens to freeze their assessment at a base year value
- This exemption must be renewed annually
The requirements for the exemption are:
- The owner must be 65 years of age or older
- Have lived in their property at least the last two January firsts
- Have a total household income of $65,000 or less for the 2023 year
Applicants MUST bring for proof of income for all household members:
- The front page of their 2023 Federal Income Tax form and Schedule 1, if applicable or….
- If you do not file income tax, bring ALL income, pension and interest statements for 2023
- To include the 1099 Social Security Statement.
Application forms and assistance completing the form are available at:
Chief County Assessment Office
DeKalb County Administration Building, 4th floor
110 East Sycamore Street
Sycamore, IL 60178
Please call 815-895-7120 for assistance or further information.
The Senior Assessment Freeze Exemption is not a pay-back program and should not be confused with the Real Estate Tax Deferral Program available through the DeKalb County Treasurer’s Office.