Additionally, local authorities with respect to roads and structures under their jurisdiction, may by ordinance limit or prohibit the use by trucks and other commercial vehicles on designated highways. This designation must be signed on the appropriate highways. As of August 27, 2008 those highways and/or structures are:
Roadways: When“spring posting” is in effect:
The posting limits are 8,000 pounds per axle for single tired vehicles, 11,000 pounds per axle for duals with a maximum gross weight of 33,000 pounds on designated roads. If conditions permit, allowances may be made during which movements will be allowed during certain hours. To find out if there are any “windows” on a particular day, citizens may call 24 hours a day at (815) 756-9513 for that information. Postings will remain in effect until the frost is out of the ground and the roads have settled down. By Ordinance the roads can only be posted for a period 90 days in any given 12 month period for the spring freeze/thaw cycle.
Roadways: Posted for maximum of 54,000 pounds year around, except when “spring posting” is in effect, at which time that governs are:
- Suydam Road from LaSalle County Line north to Rollo Road
In addition, Peace Road from Route 64 west of Sycamore northerly to Plank Road and Plank Road northeasterly to Kane County Line is posted for 73,280 pounds with a maximum axle load of 18,000 pounds.
Structures (bridges): Posted for 36 ton Gross & 9 ton per axle are the following County bridges:
- Structure number 019-3014: Suydam Road east of Hyde Road, next to the park
DeKalb County has established Class II truck routes as specified below:
- Peace Road from Pleasant Street to Route 64
- Shabbona Road from US Route 30 north for a distance of 1,308 feet
- Genoa Road from Genoa City Limits to Boone County Line (Length and Width only)
- Somonauk Road from Illinois Route 38 south for 5,395 feet to the landfill
- West County Line Road from US Route 30 northerly to the limits of the Village of Lee
- Barber Greene Road from Illinois Route 23 easterly to Peace Road
- Chicago Road from IL Route 23 east for a distance of 4,200 feet
- DeKalb County may, after review, issue permits to move over permanently posted roads. To apply for a permit, interested parties should call the DeKalb County Highway Department at 815/756-9513 between the hours of 7:00am to 4:00pm on Monday thru Friday. All issued permits must be in the vehicle making the move and all restrictions on the permit must be adhered to. DeKalb County charges a $5.00 administrative fee for all permits as well as a per mile/per trip charge for overweight vehicles traveling on the County roadway system.
- For permits needed for posted State, township or municipal roads, each individual governmental authority having jurisdiction over their roads must be contacted, the County Highway Department only issues permits for County roads.
For information regarding over dimensional movements on State highways, please contact:
Department of Transportation – Permit Section
2300 S. Dirksen Parkway
Springfield, IL 62764
217/782-6271 or http://www.illinois.gov