The ALF M. DEISZ MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP AWARD is available each year from the Regional Office of Education or from high school counselors in DeKalb County.
For the graduating DeKalb County High School senior, this award is given in memory of Alf M. Deisz, former DeKalb County Sheriff and DeKalb County Treasurer. The purpose of the award is to help the applicant continue his/her education in the major field of Police Science or Law Enforcement in a recognized two or four-year accredited college.
For the winner, $500.00 will be paid directly to the institution that he/she is attending at the rate of $250 at the beginning of the first semester and $250.00 at the beginning of the second semester.
The selection committee will be composed of three county officials: DeKalb County Sheriff, DeKalb County Regional Superintendent of Schools, and a representative from the Metropolitan Alliance for Police Chapter 318.
Qualifications for the scholarship are:
- Must be a DeKalb County high school senior, graduating in the upper half of his/her class.
- Must be accepted at a qualified institution of higher learning.
- College curriculum is to be in the field of Police Science and/or Law Enforcement.
- Application is to be mailed to the Regional Office of Education, 2500 N. Annie Glidden Road, Suite C, DeKalb, IL 60115.
- Application must be received no later than April 1 each year.
Factors to be considered by selection committee, in order of importance are:
- Applicant’s career choice
- Organizations and activities in which applicant participated while in high school. This includes both school and non-school related activities which will outline the leadership, citizenship and contributions displayed while the applicant was a member.
Applications will be accepted if received on or before due date (April 1) each year.