About the PBC
The DeKalb County Public Building Commission is a quasi-governmental unit created by the DeKalb County Board in May,1978 under the authority of Chapter 50 ILCS20/1. It is comprised of a five member board with the current members being: Chairman Matt Swanson, Vice Chairman Larry Lundgren, Commissioners: Cheryl Nicholson, Mike Larson and Charles Shepard. Treasurer Gary Hanson, and Secretary Tasha Sims. The Commission is responsible for the construction, refurbishing and/or maintenance of County buildings for which lease agreements are executed with the County.
The Public Building Commission has overseen all major County building projects since its creation. The Commission was responsible for the construction of the County Jail in Sycamore, Illinois, the remodeling of the old “lace curtain” jail into the current Administration Building, the complete renovation and restoration of the historic DeKalb County Courthouse, the construction of Health Facility Campus at Annie Glidden and Dresser Roads in DeKalb, Illinois, the DeKalb County Highway Garage and Office Building on Barber Greene Road in DeKalb and the Legislative Center.
In addition to the construction refurbishing and maintenance of all DeKalb County buildings, the Public Building Commission provides and maintains the records storage areas for all County Departments as required by the Illinois Compiled Statutes. The P.B.C. has constructed and maintains secure, climate controlled storage areas to house all the historical records for the County dating back to 1835. Three of these facilities are on site for the Courthouse, the Legislative Center and the Public Safety Building and two are off-site with locations at the Health Facility and Highway Department.