Freedom of Information Act
Procedures to Obtain Records Under the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act)
To make a FOIA request:
- The request must be in writing
- Be specific in what information you want.
- State if you want a cost estimate in advance.
- You may use your own format or use a simple form created for the public.
Request a FOIA Request Form from the Department Listing
- Please note: attachments sent to County email addresses must be sent in PDF format. All other attachment file types will be rejected.
Here are examples of major existing reports currently available:
- Financial Information
- Reports of County Officials
- Database Searches (Online Records or Property Records)
- Ready-to-Print Maps
- Looking for something special? Search our A-Z Index!
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state statute (5 ILCS 140/1-140/11) that provides for a straight-forward, easy-to-use method for the public to gain access government records. Any person who wishes to inspect and/or obtain copies of public records from the County of DeKalb shall follow the rules below, in accordance with the Illinois Freedom of Information Act, effective July 1, 1984.
Find additional information about FOIA and Frequently Asked Questions by visiting the Illinois Attorney General’s Website